Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:38:21 -0400
From:         "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>
Subject:      Poor Man's Awning

Brent & friends:

I've been using the little clips Brent spoke of - not the "Pony" clamps (the orange and chrome ones), but the "Quick Clamp" brand. They are black plastic with little yellow cushions on the clamping surface. They are a lot stiffer (clamp tighter) than the Pony clamps, and the shape of the clamping surface seems to mate-up better with the gutter than the Pony's does.

I don't use them to hold on a "traditional" awning - I fabricated some "mini-awnings" that allow me to sleep in the van with the side windows open in a rain storm - nothing worse that a hot, damp night with the windows rolled-up - ick! They just jut out and slightly downward from the gutter - not attached to the ground at all - and also don't interfere with the operation of the sliding door.

I made them by gluing some $2/yd. Wal-Mart vinyl to a piece of aluminum roof flashing (with spray trim adhesive), which I then bent - I can't really describe the exact geometry here, but it was pretty simple to do using my B&D Workmate bench and a 2x4 - to fit over the little flare at the end of the gutter. The way I did the bending created a few corrugations running perpendicular to the gutter which are quite necessary for enough rigidity. The awnings would probably work a little better without the added weight of the vinyl, but they sure wouldn't look as nice.

When not in use, they stow neatly between the frame rails and springs under my weekender seat, and the little clamps stow up there too. The whole set-up is pretty slick (if I do say so myself) - the inside of the van stays dry (unless you're camping in a hurricane), and I've accidentally driven off with them attached and they stayed put at speeds up to 40 mph before I noticed my "wings were flapping" and stopped.

If anybody is interested in seeing them, feel free p-mail me - I can take a few shots on my next roll of film & mail you the .jpg's.

Doug Fitz-Randolph Yarmouth, ME dfrandolph@talkam.net '90 Syncro