Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:18:00 -0700
From:         Brent Christensen <bpchristensen@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Advice needed on Van choice. (long)
Comments: To: Troy Donaldson <troy@MHCC.CC.OR.US>

Well, not to sound glib, but if you're main concerns are wife-friendliness, trouble-free operation, and 4WD that you can "load to the hilt" I would have to suggest an Explorer, Durango, or some such generic car. (All of which are pretty much "wanna-be" 4WD's anyway)

If, however, you want a car that becomes a part of your life, one that every time you drive puts a stupid, kid-like grin on your face, then opt for a Vanagon. I assume that owning a Vanagon holds some importance for you, since you posted to this list, and that is great!

It sounds like your family is very similar to mine. We do a lot of adventurous activities, travel to Baja, Colorado, Oregon, etc. We prefer to camp in places where the nearest person or piece of concrete is at least 10 miles away, etc.

My 5' 4" wife says that my Syncro Westy is as easy to drive as her Cherokee (actually has a tighter turning radius!), and she loves how easy it is to get the kids in and out for running to the beach, etc. If you want a Vanagon, I would encourage you to consider a Syncro that has been well-maintained. (Westy or otherwise). Mine has almost 200,000 miles on it, and it has cost less than 1/2 as much to own per mile that the car that it replaced, a Taurus SHO. This is even after replacing engines, transmissions, etc. The biggest advantage to a Vanagon is that they hold their value very well.

Yes, Syncros are a bit more work to keep up, and the parts can be more expensive, but to me it is absolutely, without question, worth it. There is no comparison between camping in the Syncro vs. camping in the Cherokee. The best advice? SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND BUY ONE THAT HAS BEEN METICULOUSLY MAINTAINED. I cannot overstate the importance of this. I'd be willing to bet that the '87 you mentioned was bought inexpensively from a PO that had not taken meticulous care of it. I have bought both kinds of cars, and I can tell you that saving money on the buy will cost you much more in the long run (especially if you factor in the time and frustration).

Oh, and the best years? My suggestion would be an '86 or newer GL. (this is when Syncros first debuted) Better looking interior (IMHO), 2.1L engine, etc.

Brent Christensen '89 Syncro Westy "Klaus" '95 Cherokee Sport

----- Original Message ----- From: Troy Donaldson <troy@MHCC.CC.OR.US> Sent: Friday, June 11, 1999 2:59 PM Subject: Advice needed on Van choice.