Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Jun 1999 08:13:36 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@MAIL.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      My Trans problem fixed! :-)

I picked up my '88 Westy from AutoSpiel in Victoria yesterday, who did a rebuild on the transaxle. Total cost came to $1100 CDN, including a used input shaft to replace mine which was chewed up by three failed pilot bearings. It was good to hear that all the syncros and gears were in very good shape, requiring no replacements. (I asked him to replace anything worn, but also keep the costs down). Thanks to those who recommended Russell Sherman at AutoSpiel - I was impressed with his professionalism and quick service. And I now have a quiet running van for the first time!

And many thanks to all those who offered advice along the way, especially Todd Hill. If was not leaving so soon, I could have tried one of his rebuilds, as I have no doubt they are of the best quality.

I am glad to have kept the cost down, as I expect we have only a few more years left with this Westy before finding either a Syncro or a diesel Westy. I drove a diesel Westy for the first time this week, and loved it! Since we are planning some longer trips in the coming years, and diesel (with TD engine) will make sense.

The day did not end well, as a kid at the school smashed my sliding door window (accidentally). Anyone tried replacing one of these? Insurance covers it, and the glass shop said they will replace the entire door window section - I hope they know what they're doing.

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca