Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:05:41 -0600
From:         Carl Hansen <carl_hansen@IEEE.ORG>
Subject:      OOoooo, ouch.  re: firing order and plugs.
Comments: To: SyncroList - post <Syncro@ONElist.com>

So, how many of us that have rebuilt air and water cooled boxers saw that faux paux and rolled our eyes longly and slowly.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Straight from Bently for Air Cooled Busses, Beetle, and a quick look under the engine lid on Syncro Beast. Oh, and by the way, THE FIRING ORDER IS THE SAME ON ALL OF EM: 1, 4, 3, 2.

AIR COOLED BOXER (Any vintage Type 1 or Type 4 engines)

FLYWHEEL oil Front, left side: #3 cooler Front, right side: #1

Back, left side: #4 Back, right side: #2

PULLEY remember that pesky oil cooler? It caused #3 to run a little hotter.

WATER COOLED BOXER FLYWHEEL

Front, left side: #3 Front, right side: #1

Back, left side: #4 Back, right side: #2

PULLEY

For those of you into IN-LINE 4's................. the firing order changed to 1, 3, 4, 2. ummm

Pully/ the cam belt #1 #2 #3 #4 Flywheel end end

Sorry, I don't know the 6's, I suppose the 5's are same as the in-line 4's, with one extra hole.

And, yes, no where in the Vanagon Bently did I see the cylinder placement explained for the Wasser boxer or the Air Cooled boxer. I did, however, find the firing order and I suppose you could follow the plug wires from the distributor.

The British Haynes Vanagon manual at least tells you the placement of #1 in several places, and on page 5B-3, shows you the placement.

Ch

'89 SyncroBeast Vanagon - Soon to come - New Shocks for the Syncro! '87 16V GTI '80 850 Yamaha Special '87 16V GTI w/ hale damage - parting out - body gone, parts remain '89 16V GTI w/ toasted motor '86 Scirocco (8 valve w/ auto) - SO's - now w/ it's own hale damage

Prior Lake, MinneSnowta - Summers here and with it, Mosquitoes!

<<SNIP ORIGINAL>> (IT'S WRONG.)

You're supposed to know, apparently.

flywheel end 3 1 2 4 pulley end

Distributor rotor points to about 4 o'clock when #1 is at TDC. Shall we rant about Bentley a little? Somebody wrote a while back that he found everything he ever looked for there, but that has not been my experience. :)

david

David Beierl - dbeierl@ibm.net

[text/enriched]

So, how many of us that have rebuilt air and water cooled boxers saw that faux paux and rolled our eyes longly and slowly.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Straight from Bently for Air Cooled Busses, Beetle, and a quick look under the engine lid on Syncro Beast. Oh, and by the way, THE FIRING ORDER IS THE SAME ON ALL OF EM: 1, 4, 3, 2.

<bold>AIR COOLED BOXER</bold> (Any vintage Type 1 or Type 4 engines)

<bold>FLYWHEEL

oil

PULLEY

</bold>remember that pesky oil cooler? It caused #3 to run a little hotter.

<bold>WATER COOLED BOXER

FLYWHEEL

PULLEY

the firing order changed to 1, 3, 4, 2. ummm

Pully/ the

cam belt <bold>#1 #2 #3 #4</bold> Flywheel