Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:52:47 -0700
From:         Steve Macaulay <smacaulay@INFINTIUM.COM>
Subject:      Cheap front window bug screens

A few months ago I posted my experiences fabricating some front window bug screens using common door screening material and magnetic tape. Some listmembers mentioned that it won't fold up compactly or hold up well. Well, they were right. It seemed to work fine in the beginning but after being folded up for a while I found out the the magnetic tape had enough wrinkles in it to prevent it from sealing as strong as it did before.

Last night I trashed these screens and made up a new set that addresses these issues. I bought a roll of black fiberglass screening material ($5.00) and some regular magnets (2 8-magnet packs at $2 each) from Home Depot. I then cut the screening material in the same basic shape as the front windows (including side vent) but about 3 or 4 inches bigger all around. From the inside with the door open simply place the screen against the window with the extra 3 or 4 inches hanging over the front, top, and back side of the door. Then close the door. Place most of the magnets on the inside of the window around the bottom to seal it up (top and sides are sealed by the closed door), and a couple on the top and front and back sides to hold it on so that you can open and close the door without it falling off. It only takes a minute to install it. It cost $9 for both windows and it all folds up and stores in a little zip-lock sandwich bag. It does not interfere with the window operation, and opening and closing the door didn't seem to damage or cut the screen itself since it contacts a rubber door seal all around. It's the same basic concept as the $35 J.C Whitney screens, but I use it on the inside of the van instead of the outside.

Apologies in advance to those who may have seen and heard this before in past listmember posts.

Steve

89 Westy