Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Jun 1999 13:51:55 -0300
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cheap front window bug screens

I also found that the magnetized bug screen for the front doors do not fold or store well, so i'm also looking for an alternative similar to what Steve is doing:

I will will sew a combo of ripstop and no-see-um mesh so that it will form a bit of a sleeve for the 3 sides of the the front door. With the mesh on the outside of the door, I will sew a flap on the right, top, & left side of the mesh so that the flap will wrap around the sides of the door about 3 inches to the inside of the door around the door/window frame so that it will 'sit' by itself on the opened door. I then will sew an elastic on the flap at the level near the bottom of the window to keep the mesh in place as I close the door., Then I will use some magnets to keep it tight against the door at the bottom of the window (the other three sides (right, top, & left ) will be kept in place (and tight) by the weather stripping of the closed door). I will also be able to regulate the air by being able to role the window up/down as I see fit.

It should look like this (X = ripstop inside and outside the door - an 'open' sleeve, / = mesh):

So It should just slip over the opened door, close the door, and place the magnets. It will also wadd/ball up into a small ball for storage.

I made a very nice "shower-cap" bug screen for the rear lid and the above design will be a three sided 'shower-cap' without the elastic around the periphery. I "know" the above design will work. When I finish it, I'll post my results.

Malcolm S