Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:55:20 GMT
From:         Malcolm White <malcolm@WHITE.IE>
Subject:      Re: Rear diff lock
Comments: To: Stewart Signol <stewart@SIGNOL.FREESERVE.CO.UK>

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:45:55 +0100, you wrote:

>My rear diff lock has seized up and now wont work........do I really have to dismantle the whole on the transmission to replace the corroded sleeve( I bought another on to see if it was possible to remove it with the gearbox still in place). Any body done a similar job.........the front one works fine, at least thats something > >Stewart > >ps one conversion that ive seen over here is fitting a 1.9tdi with a conventional pump, The pumps were specially built and cost a fair bit ,but got rid of all the complications

I had the same problem although both of mine had siezed up. I had Tony at Transporter Supply in Surrey fix mine (01932 267979)

This was a posting that Tim Smith sent a while ago (I'm sure he won't mind me reproducing it here!). I wasn't sure from your posting as to whether you had already done all this!

Remove two nuts from servo bracket to allow the servo box to float free. Keeping it STRAIGHT! get some one to work the dash valve. Box should move in/out when active. If not dead servo, replace (can be split open to check diaphragm, maybe goop-able) If servo is good, but diff lock wouldn't move then remove the servo and its bracket. You need to drive out a 3mm drift pin from the actuator shaft first DON'T bend the servo rod!!!!! Slip a small nail into the 1/2" diam actuator shaft on the diff and go to it, penetrating oil, bristle brush/emery cloth etc. and get it moving again.. This is the most likely failure point, gummed up from lack of use, so you may wish to start here BTW. Once the shaft is free about 1/6th of a turn of a tire will let the lock engage, about 1" travel inwards of the shaft. If it is really freed up properly the tiny return spring inside the diff will push the lock out to 'off' by itself. Very light force to move shaft is all. At same time see if the dash light came on when shaft pushed in, if not unplug the connector and bridge the terminals. After that check it as needed, maybe a dead LED. There is an O-ring around an aluminium sleeve (that is around the shaft). Sleeve will move out when you tug to expose ring, replace that via dealer part, cheap.

Regards, Malcolm.

P.S Since having mine fixed, I do operate my diff locks once a week to keep them free! -- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Malcolm White Templeogue, Dublin 6W, Eire Tel:(+353) 1 490 7246 malcolm@white.ie / rides@balloons.ie ICQ# 32468647 ...and finally, all those with window seats are invited to board the plane ---------------------------------------------------------------------------