Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:39:16 -0700
From:         Brad Anderson <BAnderso@STARBUCKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Throttle switch--lazy sometimes, per digitool
Comments: To: "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@NETCOM.COM>

I suffered from the same symptoms and was told by a friend (who is a genuine VW mechanic and a Syncro nut) to change out the throttle switch.

Now before this van came into my life, it lived in Minnesota and there is a bit of rust to prove it. After pulling the valve out, it was obvious the adjustment bolt and concentric would need to be replaced, as well as the mounting plate, due to layers of ugly corrosion. I bought the switch from the dealer, about $65, though I think they are cheaper through the Bus Depot. I found all the odd pieces, and a few more at Bry's Auto Wrecking here in Seattle. The newer switch required a bigger cam on the valve axle(?) to actuate it, which I also scored from Bry's.

I rebuilt the valve and adjusted it on a my bench using feeler gauges and a Fluke meter to determine the switch contact point, but I think you could go off of the clicking noise easily enough. Adjusting on the bench is much easier than installed! Of course clean all the collected goodies from the throat of the valve and don't forget to lubricate the valve axle itself; WD40 later will never do as well.

I installed the new setup and solved the problem.

FYI: Bry's VW/Audi Wrecking (206) 938-3868

Regards BA > -----Original Message----- > From: Tom L. Neal [SMTP:jneal@NETCOM.COM] > Sent: Thursday, June 17, 1999 10:10 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Throttle switch--lazy sometimes, per digitool > > Not a good idea, perhaps, but mere hours before leaving on the current > 6,000 mile US loop, I blandly decided to adjust the throttle switch since > it didn't seem quick enough. Got the "don't change, factory adjust only" > screw and the throttle switch exactly right per paper and feeler guage. > > Now the throttle switch works right most of the time, but when in cooler > weather (60 F) the switch is lazy. If the accelerator is let off > abruptly, > it switches, but if the accelerator is let off normally, the switch > doesn't > come on. Sprayed with WD-40, but really didn't help. In hotter weather > works fine. > > And stripped the small allen screw because I didn't open up the large one > enough. > > Read that someone rebuilt the throttle switch. Any pointers? Seems > that cleaning it and replacing the stripped screws might be in order. > Is there a step by step in the archives? > > DIGITOOL: don't even think about leaving your driveway without it. > > Regards, Tom Neal '87 syncro