Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:06:46 -0700
From:         Brad Anderson <BAnderso@STARBUCKS.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing pushrod tubes
Comments: To: "Keese, Brian W" <bkeese@INDIANA.EDU>

I'm a newbie too and I just did the same job. How I wish I had the help of this group then, instead of learning the other way.

I'm guessing the tube you got wasn't really collapsible or spring loaded. Mine were, but my problem was that the good folks at the Bus Depot didn't inform me to order the seals also, which is rather important. (Not their fault, I just wish they offered it as a kit.) Luckily, my local dealer had the seals.

Anyway, installing the tube amounts to cleaning the mating surfaces on the block and the head, placing the seals on the tube ends, compressing it, placing into position (it only goes in one way) and releasing the compression. It is a bit difficult to hold the tube and keep it compressed and all, but you'll figure it out. Just avoid bending the ends of the tubes.

The important part of the job, I found, is replacing the pushrods and rocker assembly so they seat well . Make sure that the rods don't fall off the inner seat (help me with the part name; valve-something) while you are tightening the rocker assembly. Also, unless you know what you are doing, do not readjust the adjustment screws on the rocker arm like Bentley tells you, or you may bend a few pushrods (like I did). Since you are only replacing the tube, valve adjustment isn't necessary (I was informed of this later).

Don't forget to replace the valve cover gasket when you put it all back together.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

BA 87 dripless Vanagon Syncro