Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:12:58 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Connector contact intermittant--Digitool to the rescue
Comments: To: "Tom L. Neal" <jneal@netcom.com>

Tom L. Neal said:

>Learning summary: Hotter weather and the associated mechanical >expansion/contraction and corrosion has been triggering electrical contact >failures in many list vans in the past several weeks. Coils, AFM, throttle >switches, others. > >One PREVENTATIVE measure is to clean connector contacts by >1)pushing connector on and off or >2)clean contact by scraping with something like steel wool >then mate the connector with a little contact grease like the formula made >for spark plugs.

Here's another tip (from experience 8-( ); The vanagon is loaded with those multi-point ground studs with crimp-type push on connectors attached. Bunches of (usually brown) wires attach to these. These connectors are *guaranteed* to be loose, especially in the engine bay! My old air-cooled '81 was really dodgy until I re-worked all these connectors. The biggest culprit was one on the left-hand side, at the back of the engine beside the inlet manifold. The bolt holding on the connectors had worked loose. I pulled off all the wires, cleaned the posts with fine emery paper, replaced most of the crimps & re-tightened the post. Major improvements!!! 8-)

BTW - my '88 had an interesting electrical problem. Once or twice, the oil light and buzzer came on while I was driving. I pulled over, checked the level, looked for leaks & drove on. Hmph - no problems! When I got down to re-building the engine I discovered the wire leading to the low pressure oil sensor (the one between the pushrod tubes) had gotten 'cooked' on the exhaust downpipes. The PO had wrapped insulating tape around the damaged part which had eventually peeled off with the heat. Every so often, the wire would short out onto the exhaust. BZZZZZ! I replaced the wire from the connector to the sensor & tied it up out of the way of the hot stuff ......

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Test Dev. Engineer (916) 394-5302 - phone Sacramento Operations Center (916) 815-0762 - pager Apple Computer Inc.