Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:25:12 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacing pushrod tubes
Comments: To: Brad Anderson <BAnderso@STARBUCKS.COM>

Brad Anderson said:

> >The important part of the job, I found, is replacing the pushrods and rocker >assembly so they seat well . Make sure that the rods don't fall off the >inner seat (help me with the part name; valve-something)

Hydraulic valve lifter?

>while you are >tightening the rocker assembly. Also, unless you know what you are doing, do >not readjust the adjustment screws on the rocker arm like Bentley tells you, >or you may bend a few pushrods (like I did). Since you are only replacing >the tube, valve adjustment isn't necessary (I was informed of this later).

I agree. I just did the head seal job on my '88 - both Bentley and Herb (from the archives) recommended re-adjusting the valves after a 'head job'. I didn't! What I *did* do was keep the valve train with its associated head & keep the pushrods in order. The trick with the rods is mount the rockers hand-tight onto the head with the rods installed. Jiggle each of the rods until it falls into the cup on the lifter. It's unmistakeable when it does! Then push the rocker down onto it to hold it in place. Tighten down the rockers carefully, making sure none of them pop out again (they'll try!).

Herb suggested applying goop to the pushrod tube seals. I didn't. So far so good ...

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com '88 Wolfsburg "Muriel" *not speaking for Apple*