Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:58:35 -0400
From:         John <u1031271@WARWICK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Send in the Grounds...
Comments: To: "Steven X. Schwenk" <Steve@Schwenk-Law.com>

Steven X. Schwenk wrote: > > Where are the main ground connections that if loose may > affect FI performance? > I need a little help due to time. > Thanks > steve

Steve,

There are 2 "community" ground points under the coil with 4 or 5 wires each (usually brown), the fuel pump ground is a single ground on a small stud on the forward sheet metal above the engine and the Digifant control module(DCM) uses a single ground located near the DCM under the rear seat.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for a trip to visit family for, you guessed it - Father's Day. If you want to run your symptoms by me again, I'll give you my best shot before leaving. I know this is irritating to hear but as I remember your symptoms, they pointed to something very basic(easy for me to say, my 2 Syncros start and run fine!)like a cracked coil tower or excesssive secondary resistance. You should remove the ignition coil(two 6mm bolts)to inspect and the Digifant grounds, while the coil is in your hands check the integrity of the primary and secondary connections........ Since you're checking grounds, is the engine/transmisson assembly properly grounded ? Is the transmission ground strap in perfect condition ? The only way worth a damn to check a connection dynamically is voltage drop. Are you using voltage drop as a diagnostic tool ?

I hope I've helped you, it would be a shame to miss a Father's day celebration due to a piss-ant but strategic Vanagaon fault.

JP