Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Jun 1999 08:49:27 -0700
From:         Al Knoll <AL_KNOLL@HP-ROSEVILLE-OM2.OM.HP.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fizzix, Springs, ride height etc.
Comments: To: KNOLL_AL/HP-Roseville_om2@venus.rose.hp.com

Item Subject: cc:Mail Text James, et. al.

1. Are you the fellow who had a few SA grilles avec lights for sale before your escape to Aspen? My memory fails me on the supplier.

2. On the matter of spring rates. The unsprung weight includes those things not really firmly attached to the chassis. Wheels, lug nuts, tires, some percentage of the driveshafts, swing arms, outer cvs and so on. The sinking crow has considerably more sprung weight than the standard and for a similar ride height will require a "stronger" spring. If my fizzix doesn't fail me now, it's F=K*x Where F is the resisting force, K is the "spring constant" and x is the deflection of the spring (in our case, compression). Now for F=K(x)*x or a progressively wound spring the spring constant is a function of the compression distance.

3. In practice to support a 1000KG weight, the spring must have an F of 1000KG. How much x is given up depends on K or K(x). With a spring constant of 1000KG the compression is 1M (MKS) With a K of 10000KG the compression is 0.1M or 100cm. With a K of 100000KG the compression is 10cm. More like what the reality of Westie springs.

4. All well and good for static operation and measuring ride height when stopped. For dynamic operation such as actually driving the vehicle, the F required depends on the motion of the sprung weight as dictated by acceleration due to high speed slalom events, berm gelandespringen, curbs, dead animals or gravity warps. Once again F=MA, where M is the percentage of the mass of your conveyance supported by each spring, A is the acceleration you applied by turning, hitting a bump or braking severely or just bouncing along on those oversize tires. It's the same F as in 3, above. The more A you have the more F you'll need to avoid the dreaded bottoming out. The more F you need the more K you need.

5. Bottoming out is the condition where the spring no longer compresses as the coils touch and the spring becomes a fixed cylinder which transmits any additional A directly to the frame and spring mounts resulting in higher elective dental restoration bills for the unfortunate occupants and structure damage to the beloved conveyance. So don't do that. Put in a resisting thingy that resists as a function of A. Like a shock absorber. The gnomes at VW did that for us thank goodness. We just have to make it right for our use and replace the deteriorating parts now and then.

6. The second function of the acceleration damper is killing off harmonic transients or keeping the wheels on the ground so to speak as the M dangles merrily on the spring. Too much damping factor or too stiff shocks and you approach the fixed cylinder state. Too little and you have the bottoming and boinging effect. All dependent on K and M and damping. Change M significantly and you are out of the ideal operating range of the damped spring system. Perhaps not at the gross limits but not ideal.

7. The unsprung weight has an effect but not nearly what one would think. It's effect has to do with transmitting motion to the sprung weight via A. If the balance is such that the unsprung weight is very small compared to the sprung weight then the only effect has to do with keeping the wheels in contact with the road at some relatively constant ground pressure. The damper helps here. The spring pushes down from the dynamic inertia of the sprung weight to try to keep the wheel on the ground when the sprung weight goes up.

Now there's more of course with a compound spring connected masses system (the tires have their own K and M and damping factor) between the ground force and the sprung mass. The ideal answer is " probably, for a limited range of motion, mass, forces etc. I can make you a compensator device that will guarrantee an absolute smooth ride and ride height using parts from a Citroen DS-19/21, but you wouldn't like the maintenance cost". Or sense all that stuff in real time and adjust the damping and resisting force in real time using a computed ride map of preset parameters that are selected based on the last several samples and applied for the next sample time group.

Simple, eh? Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

al NOT ON THE SAFARI due to motor problems and gnashing and snarling therewith.