Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:56:57 -0700
From:         Graham Challis <centumg@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Front swivel seats.
Comments: To: JordanVw@AOL.COM

I can vouch for Chris' statement, having bought a mechanism from him (for the passenger seat only) and installing it. The hardest part is cleaning the area to be welded - need bare metal there. On my 90 GL I found I had to shorten the hinged battery cover about an inch - just hacksawed it off - not noticeable at all as the carpet covers it. After the welding, spray painted the seams and it looks like it came that way from the factory. Only doing the passenger seat means that the seat is slightly higher than the driver's - NBD.

Graham 90 GL Country Home Camper

--- JordanVw@AOL.COM wrote: > In a message dated 99-06-17 17:13:58 EDT, > heidcar@NTMAILX.SPANLINK.COM writes: > > << I assume that a few people on the list have > installed the front seats > >that swivel. How hard of a proceed is this? Can > the swivel base be > >adapted to my non-swiveling seats. If it can be I > would only change the > >passenger seat. I don't see the need to swivel > the driver's seat. > >However, if the seat has to be completely change > then I would change > >both. That way they would match. I have been > told that you have to > >weld the base of the swivel seat to the floor, > that is all I know of the > >procedure. > > > >Does anyone have the swivel or the entire seat for > sale? Used or new. > > > >Thanks in advance, > >Ryan > >1985 Westy GL >> > > > the meachanism that swivals the front seats in a > westy, is just that. a > mechanism. its not part of the seat. you can use > any vanagon seats on a > swival mechanism. > the mechanism is a seat track, on a pivoting plate, > which in turn is bolted > to another plate, which is welded to the body. you > need to either weld the > plates down, or bolt them to your van. welding is > preferred, and its easy. > shouldnt cost you more than 10 bucks to weld them > both down, at your local > welding shop. > > chris > > >