Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:02:09 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 1984 Vanagon....overheating

First - check the cap on the main reservoir. It should hold 14.5 PSI. If not, replace it, retest. If it does, get it checked for hydrocarbon in the cooling system. You can get a chemical "block test kit" from NAPA, or any decent parts store. Follow the directions, suck air out of the main reservoir. NOTE: The "overheat" light won't come on until coolant level in the main reservoir drops below the prongs of the level sensor, or until engine temp reaches critical level. Doesn't sound like the van is getting that hot. Also the radiator fan not coming on is an indication that the fan switch at the radiator is not reaching kick-in temperature, which doesn't suggest overheating, especially if coolant flow to the front is OK (ie. - the radiator filled to the top and you were getting warm coolant out the bleeder plug). Check the actual engine temp with a good thermometer, perform the block test. Good luck!

Coby Smolens, Owner Valley Wagonworks "Intimately acquainted with VW Vans since 1959" 1535 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. San Anselmo, CA 94960 Phone: (415) 457-5628 Fax: (415) 457-0967 http//:wagonworks.com mailto:contact@wagonworks.com