Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:07:07 -0500
From:         William Wedenoja <waw105f@MAIL.SMSU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Pop Top Seals?
Comments: To: gabe mar <getmariscal@YAHOO.COM>

I got the seals from www.busdepot.com (for about $75) and installed them yesterday. I suppose you could pull the old ones off and snap the new ones on in about 15 minutes, but I managed to spend the better part of the day on it. Not that they were difficult to install.

First I pulled off the old pop top seals. Then I unscrewed the luggage rack and took it off because I could see a lot of crud lurking underneath. Wow, a compost pile of leaves and twigs up there (and the two former POs said it had always been garaged!) Probably didn't notice the brown ooozz dribbling down the side of the van because that's the color of the van. Then I washed everything. Scrubbed the edges where the seal was, because they were pretty rough. Not too hard though! Paint comes off. Waxed the top under the luggage rack. Went to a Boat shop and got some Meguiar's finish restorer for boats and RVs and some Meguiar's clean and wax for same. At about $9 each. (They worked fine but nothing miraculous.) Cleaned and waxed the pop top and luggage rack. Pushed the new seals into place. Put the luggage rack back on (8 screws).

Looks at least 100% better. And I don't plan to do this again for another 10 years! But it was worth it. The seals look a lot better than the nasty old rusted ones. Although maybe not as nice as the original ones new. They have a dull finish to them. They look solid. They just push into place and grip tight. You don't have to crimp or glue. (But you do need to clip the excess off--about a foot on the pop top seal and about 10" on the luggage rack.) The hardest part is getting around a tight bend at the back corners, but they'll go, although you may be tempted to notch the tubing there (they are notched on the old seals).

Two pieces of advice. First, don't put the pop top seal on backwards. (I think) the round rubber tubing goes on the inside, not the outside. Second, cut the luggage rack seal so it ends about 3 inches before the end of the luggage rack on each side. This is so there won't be a bulge (creating an air leak) when the poptop overlaps it. (If this doesn't make sense, then look at how your existing seals overlap.)

Pick a nice day for this job!

Bill Wedenoja 88 westie

-----Original Message----- From: gabe mar <getmariscal@YAHOO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, June 21, 1999 4:44 PM Subject: Pop Top Seals?