Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:14:03 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Tired of tires ...

Hi folks,

I know we've all been through this one before, but please bear with me - I'm just a newbie. I've been searching *everywhere* for new tyres (tires!) for my '88 Wolfie, to no avail. I've just checked through Gerry's archives, but didn't find much there. Called Sears. They said they'd call back. They didn't. Called Discount Tire Online. As soon as I said Vanagon, the seller said "I'm sorry - we have nothing for you! Goodbye". No explanation.... !!

Called America's Tire - the guy was great there, but still no luck. I mentioned Michelin and Yokohama. Nope! There are apparently two problems; almost everyone believes I'm wrong when I request 205/70s - it should be 195/75. But the stock tires for the Wolfsburg edition's 6" alloys were 204/70!! Honest! The second is that if 205/70 (or 215/70) are available, they're never of the correct load rating.

So, right now, I have the POs Michelins on & the load rating is all wrong. The sidewalls are deformed & bulging out. When checking the tire places, I'm asking for C or D rated tires & herein, I believe, lies the problem.

So ... what can I do? Is there a tire I can get in Northern CA reasonably easily? It's just for everyday use - nothing special. Hellllllp!!

Pete C (on my tireless quest!)

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com '88 Wolfsburg "Muriel" *not speaking for Apple*