Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:37:44 -0400
From:         Doug Bensen <db25@UMAIL.UMD.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Weird damage to a/c Compressor
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>

Marshall, I've got one you can have for the shipping costs. The gasket is intact, but I would probably buy a new one, just in case. I got this compressor for the cost of shipping in the hopes that I could salvage some parts off of it. Turns out it was really toasted, not even the clutch was usable. Then I was going to two things. I was going to take pictures and post them to the list to show what an engineering marvel these things really are. Lastly, save it as a core for when mine fails. Well, neither have happened or have been needed, so if you can use it, that's great. Write me back or if you can give me a call. If I'm not there just leave a message with your address, and I will send it away. I'll be talking to you soon.

Doug '86 GL Westy Maryland 301-405-7650

Marshall Ruskin wrote: > > Some news today. The A/C tech at work had my a/c compressor out, and in a > vise to remove the drain bolt. Anyways, it slipped out of the vise and hit > the concrete floor. > > Long and short of it is, the "threaded sleeve" that the "a/c hose connector > threads onto" is sort of dented, and some of the threads are squashed along > the point of impact. > > He feels really bad, but I'm not mad at him - could have happened to > anybody, and a 15 YO compressor is not worth me getting mad at him about (or > IMHO, getting him upset over). The only thing that has upset me about it is > his getting upset! > > Anyhow, now that we've sorted that out... > > Does anybody has a blown compressor, so I can take that the "hose connector > end" off to replace my damaged one. Or perhaps just get the proper end - the > a/c tech calls it the cylinder head, I call it the end opposite the clutch! > > I think mine is a Sanden 508. > > Any ideas? > > Marshall Ruskin > 84 Westy "Iron Igloo" > Founding Member of "Vanagon's Anonymous"