Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:50:44 PDT
From:         Tony Peet <tpvw@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tires - Merde! No Michelin Agilis .(long)

Bonjour!

Since I have been talking with "les cons de Michelin" almost daily lately, I thought I would mention that THEIR recommendation for the Vanagon is the Agilis 185 R 14.

I couldn't tell you the effect of the 20mm width difference, but I HAVE been generally impressed with the TECHNICAL knowledge (and patience) of the folks at 1 800 MICHELIN -- who could.

Having said that.....it took them quite a while to figure out that the Agilis 61 IS M+S rated. But I repeat: the Agilis 61 IS M+S rated (stamped right on the tire)-- but you probably won't find a Michelin dealer in the country who will tell you that because all the documentation on the tire they have been sent from Michelin Corporate says it is NOT.

NOW here's the fun part! Guess how Michelin USA found OUT it was M+S rated? I faxed them their very own Michelin US web page (the link that Kent posted to the Vanagon List!) showing them M+S rated and they sent someone out to their warehouse to check the tires and ....SURPRISE! (Thank you Kent!)

So TODAY'S official Michelin Corporate bottom line is that the Agilis 61 99R 185 14 is the ONLY M+S Michelin tire that they recommend for the Vanagon (which it is specifically made for). Call them for more info, but it has mostly to do with the fact that the load carrying capacity of the Agilis EXCEEDS the vanagon's Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR)while their other tires do not. There's also something about the 'narrow track' of the Vanagon, the higher max psi for this tire (53 vs 50), and sidewall construction.

All this said, the Michelin Tire DEALERS/INSTALLERS who I've talked with LOVE the LT-X M+S for the vanagon and have seen only positive results. They say that Michelin corporate is just going "by the book," and that unless you drive REALLY hard -- you won't have anything to worry about. I'm going weigh my Sychro at the truck stop just to be sure there's a comfortable margin between its weight and the tires'load rating, and unless it's a lot heavier than I think, I'm going to go with the LT-X M+S because I love how they ride and know several others who have good experience with them.

Next time I'll check out the Agilis -- which DOES sound like a good bet, but it's such an unknown quantity to me right now that I honestly don't want to bother.

Thank you for the help.