Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 1999 19:54:37 -0400
From:         mike <mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM>
Subject:      Re: headlight switch mystery, help!
Comments: To: Leif <leif@CMCFLEX.COM>

Trust me,

the ignition switch on the steering column.

mike 87westy with lights again and 2 headlight switches that work

Leif wrote: > > Interesting. When you refer to the "ignition switch", are you referring to > the ignition on the steering column where the key is inserted? One thing I > forgot to mention is the fact that I replaced all of the locks on my van > about 1 month ago with a set I bought from Ron. wondering if the ignition > switch has failed, or if something got fouled when I installed. What do you > think? I am still wondering if the dashboard switch is really bad. Last > night I unplugged the switch and used wires to complete all of the circuits > that the switch would've. Again, all of the lights came on except the > headlights. This makes me think it might be something deeper. > > Leif Paulsen > '86 Syncro "4BY-THOR" > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Steven X. Schwenk [mailto:Steve@Schwenk-Law.com] > > Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 2:28 PM > > To: Leif > > Subject: Re: headlight switch mystery, help! > > > > > > your headlight switch is toast...you can't fix it by disassembling and > > cleaning. replace it ...and replace the ignition swithc while > > you're at it. > > they both fail routinely. > > steve > > > > Leif wrote: > > > > > I had an interesting problem happen last night on my way home > > from work. My > > > headlights would not turn on with the switch on the dash > > console. All of > > > the other lights worked, (side markers, console dimmer). I removed the > > > dashboard switch and pried it open and cleaned off all of the copper > > > contacts and reassembled (3 times I did this). Still no > > headlights, The > > > only way the headlights will come on is by pulling and HOLDING the turn > > > signal lever on the steering column. I had to hold it for 40 > > minutes while > > > I drove home. Unfortunately, this turns on the low beams as well as the > > > high beams. So my apologies if you were one of the million > > drivers who told > > > me to turn off my F*&%^king brights last night. I figured brights were > > > safer that no headlights at all. Anyway, something has shorted out > > > somewhere, any ideas. one clue; at first I was able to flip the switch > > > repeatedly and they came on a couple of times, but went back > > out after 5-10 > > > minutes of driving. Now not even that will work. help, I > > can't drive at > > > night. > > > > > > Leif Paulsen > > > '86 Syncro "4BY-THOR" > >