Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1999 10:53:47 -0500
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Fw: Oxygen Sensor Warning Light Reset-Syncro
Comments: cc: bAnderson@STARBUCKS.COM

Brad Anderson asked about this issue. This is a reposting of my procedure of resetting the oxygen sensor warning light.

-----Original Message----- From: Budd Premack <bpremack@wavetech.net> To: Vanagon List <Vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Cc: Jwalker@uronramp.net <Jwalker@uronramp.net>; Daveb@cp.net <Daveb@cp.net> Date: Wednesday, May 19, 1999 1:09 AM Subject: Oxygen Sensor Warning Light Reset-Syncro

Last week I related my difficulties in locating the reset button for the oxygen sensor warning light. Now I am happy to report success in my quest.

In U.S. (and maybe other locations?) models, the speedometer cable has a black box containing a mechanical odometer gear cluster, which is designed at a preset mileage interval (40,000 miles or so, I think) to turn on the OXS dash warning light. This is to remind the driver to replace the O2 sensor. Whether the O2 sensor is replaced at this time or at some other interval is independent to the illumination of the warning light.

This light does not mean that anything is wrong with the van; it is simply an idiot light required by the E.P.A. (For those Listees who are not familiar with these initials, they represent the Environmental Protection Agency, our guardian of all thing good and proper for the rescue of the earth from any source of pollution, either real or imagined.)

Regardless of any political or environmental attitudes, my concern was to turn off the warning light. This is done by pushing in the reset button which is located on the front vertical face of the black box. The box is about 3 x 2 x 2 inches and is accessable from the spare tire area, once you drop and remove the tire.

Why not take this opportunity to check the tire pressure of the spare? Also, it is a good idea to put a dab of white lithium grease (or similar) on the retaining bolt that secures the spare tire cover. When you need to remove it to access the spare, typically in a location much less convenient than your garage or driveway, it is much better if it has not rusted tight.

Just follow the speedometer cable and you will notice that it has a black box spliced into it, above and at the rear of the spare tire area. If you have a 2 wheel drive model, it is easy to spot the box and the reset button.

The Syncro is more of a challenge (so what else is new?) because two hoses (about 3/4 inch OD) effectively block your view and access to the front of the black box. If you feel around carefully, you will locate the reset button. It is inside and flush with a plastic sleeve of about 1/4 inch diameter that protruds about 1/2 inch from the front of box. The button simply needs to be pushed in about 1/4 to 1/2 inch so that it will physically reset the mileage counter. (This appears to be similar in concept to the reset button on the dash for the trip odometer.) I used an allen wrench of about 1/8 inch diameter to do the job, but one could use any handy tool that is properly sized to accomplish the same result.

Once you know what to look for, this turns out to be a very simple and fast procedure. Additionally, it has the benefit of immediate satisfaction when the darn red light stops shining in your face. Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 84 GL(for sale soon), 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Sky Blue Waters)

[text/html]