Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 17:14:48 +0100
From:         Martin Laycock <m.laycock@STRATH.AC.UK>
Subject:      Re: Shift Linkage Lube?

>I am planning on doing the "replace all the grommets / hoses over the gas >tank" drill this weekend.

Michael...Allow yourself plenty of time for your plans this weekend. I have just done the same job. It started as just something to do but before I had finished I had a new clutch line and new brake lines from the front footwell right up to each rear wheel flexi pipe. It took a lot of time and even more money.

>Hi all, > I noticed somone else posted a long story about >finding other things to do while he was under there. In particular, he >mentioned lubing a shift linkage, which is easier to do with the gas tank >removed. I suppose that I should do the same, and was wondering what grease >to use and how to apply it. Do I just buy a tube of lithium grease and >squish is on the linkage?

There is a nylon bush above the tank. It is a good idea to check this for wear, mine was through to the metal was transmitting a lot of engine noise to the floor of the van. A squish of lithium grease sounds just the job if it's OK though. When you are under there with the tank off I would check the gear lever linkage for wear also. Mine was also badly worn.

> Also, a little further back from the gas tank, it >appears that another shift linkage is rubbing the side of a plastic line, >which I will presume is the clutch line. What do I do about that?

The clutch line is metal. Follow this plastic line and make sure it is not the brake servo line!! A vanagon with no servo assistance is difficult to stop in a hurry

> Finally, >it is amazing how one question or task becomes three real quickly with a >Vanagon. I have a new clutch that was replaced (with the throwout bearing >and all of that) by my Vanagon-driving mechanic. It works great, but the >declutching point is very close to the floor, and almost logarithmic in >nature. Is there any way I can add more clutch fluid in order to bring the >activation point a little higher off the floor? > Are you sure you don't have air in your clutch system?. Following my investigation of things above the tank I have had to replace the entire clutch pipework from the joint under the drivers footwell right up to the slave cylinder. When I had all the new pipework in place I did not have time to bleed it properly and I now have the same symptoms as you. I'll bleed it again when I get a chance.

Good luck Martin Laycock 82 Transporter Rainy Rusty Scotland