Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:58:42 -0700
From:         Adam Culp <aculp2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: blasphemy (long!)
Comments: To: Mark Gajewski <mgajewski@MANVILLERUBBER.COM>

Mark & All, Here is how I rationalize the decision to own a vanagon. First off, I don't think that there is anything else out there on the market that optimizes the cargo room of a vanagon. All the other minivans, lose space with the upfront engine and no space above it. The Vanagon has cargo space above the engine compartment, plus the height of the reardeck makes the fold out bed possible. That brings me to the next point. Imagine the fold out bed without a firm support of the decklid, which is part of the frame! If there is a minivan out there, I cannot see it to be too supportive. Most minvans have open "storage space" under there seat, so they aren't as supportive as the Vanagon's. But, the vanagon doesn't lose space, it just gives you "private space" under the seat. I would think that any type of bed in anything else would be unsupportive and give you that nice plastic feel that we have all come to HATE(or at least I have). I could go on and on about the advantages of the Vanagon. The Disadvantages. . . NO POWER. I see this as the only downfall of the VW(one can live with the relatively little noise of a late model). But, unlike the downfalls of everything else on the market, it IS curable. I don't think that you should rule out engine upgrades. You don't neccesarily have to swap engines. It sounds like Robert on the list has accomplished what VW should have sent off the line. His "stock upgraded" engine puts out between 130-140hp which sound perfect for a practical, yet "fast enough" van. Plus, you will have MPGs that any other minivan would drop their jaw at!(28.5 Sure it might cost 3 to 5 grand to upgrade the engine. But think, you will have the best of both worlds! The most cargo space, power, better reliability than stock, and you won't be selling out purchasing the plastic off the line, run of the mill "minivan." Not to mention the fact that you will probably spend more on a van that you won't even enjoy as much. The reason why I am going on with the subject is because a year ago I made a mistake and purchased the wrong vehicle, strictly because I was hung up on the underpower. Well, instead I went with a Honda. I will say this, I cannot even count the number of times I said to myself, "I should have gotten a Vanagon." Then there were about ten times I have said, wow it is nice to have SOME uumph. But that is not anything a little modification would do for a vanagon. I don't think it is worth sacrificing the things a vanagon has to offer. Nothing else on the market can come close to its benefits. In short, don't be too greedy! Save the Vanagon and try to fix the little qualms you have with it, which is only power and it IS fixable. If you get something else, I think you will find you have more qualms with things that you won't be able to fix, like space, a bed etc. . . Just my two cents worth. . . . ADAM '74 Midget '?? Vanagon