Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:57:30 +0200
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: US Vanagons vs European (Horsepower)
Comments: To: Dave Perry <anjar@online.no>

Dave Perry wrote:

> Just wondering. With all this talk about underpowered Vanagons . What > is the output of a typical American Vanagon. I have a European 87 > Syncro that is standard and fast with 112 horses as the stated figure. > Certainly the fastest van I have ever owned. Is it the Emissions regs > and Catalytic Converters that keep your power down? Dave Perry > Norway

Dave, et al!

First, I gotta agree with you, the 112 hp engine is a nice power plant, and makes the Vanagon a quick van. But the difference in the hp figures are a bit deeper than just the catalytic converter.

First, I have to say that all hp figures are measured according to DIN, Deutsche Industrie Norm, or the German Industry Norm if you like. There are three different versions of the 2,1 engine, according to the Haynes manual.

First, there is the DJ which is the 112 hp. This engine uses the Digijet injection system, and is without a catalytic converter, or any other exhaust cleaning system. (This is the one you Dave and I have). It makes 112 hp @ 4800 rpm, and 174 Nm @ 2800 rpm, and gas a 10,0:1 compression ratio. Requires 98 octane (ROZ) gas.

Second, there is the MV engine, which is the standard US engine. This engine has 95 hp DIN, which should be something like 90 bhp. This engine uses the Digifant injection, with a catalytic converter. It makes 95 hp @ 4800 rpm, and 160 Nm @ 2800 rpm and has a 9,0:1 compression ratio. Requires 95 octane (ROZ) gas.

Third, there is the SS engine. I do not know what markets this engine was destined for, possibly late European with catalytic converter. Also equipped with the Digifant, this engine has 92 hp @ 4500 rpm, and 154 Nm @ 2800 rpm and a 9,0:1 compression ratio. Requires 95 octane (ROZ) gas. Not the fastest 2,1 in other words.

In addition, there are 3 carbed 1,9s and one FI 1,9.

Hope this helps!

PerL 87 Syncro 112i 88 Syncro 112i (FS)