Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 16:37:16 EDT
From:         Carol Sussman <Sussmn@AOL.COM>
Subject:      89 Westfalia newbie. ?heat xchnger; tires; ventilation; used
              manuals.

I love this van. I hated paying the price (double what any generic V-8 Dodge would cost.) Having already confirmed my masochism with past membership in the MGB and pre-Yuppie Volvo cults, the last thing I need is to own another obscure, parts-impossible, pissant 4-banger vehicle. And I HATE aluminum heads. (Because I fried the heads and the brakes doing "touring" ((yeah, right)) runs at Lime Rock in the '84 SAAB 900.) Even though this 90K VW engine got new heads at 53K and runs well, I can hear the car gods cackling with anticipatory glee. Even as I delight in the handling, the clean functional camper design, the dog-sized space between the front seats which allows the mutt to comfortably rest her head on the drool-proof dash, I feel afraid. But then I found this list. And knew all was well. Are we having fun yet? Sooooo, fellow madmen, tell me: What good is the heat exchanger under the rear bench? Is this supposed to bleed off heat from the engine or is it a token source of comfort when camping in winter? I thought I was having hot flashes driving my new purchase home until my cover-to cover read of the owners' manual revealed that the valve was in the "on" position. I'm getting new tires & shocks. What are the Yokos I've heard mentioned and where gotten? I can't afford Bilsteins for either van or brick; are OEM Boge the next best and which model? Where for what $? There is limited outside air in this thing. The absence of a direct vent for the driver is driving me nuts. When I removed the front grille, I found a long perforated plastic piece between the headlights, in front of and near the top of the radiator. Behind it was some extremely dirty/deteriorated foam. Is this the filter for air coming into the ventilation system? I am going to trash it in favor of a replacement made of pleated bug screen held in place with the plastic piece. Anyone? I need a shop manual. Can't find anything by Haynes or Chilton for watercooled transporters. Don't want to spend $ for new Bentley. Any used ones out there? Apology for use of bandwidth. Anyone on the swedishbricks list knows my sig. Carol S Sussman Not a mechanic; just a driver with a toolbox.