Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:58:08 -0400
From:         Markus Benne <mbenne@CROSSKEYS.COM>
Subject:      Vanagon Engine Conversions at Litchfield Show
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

There were two Vanagon engine conversions at the Litchfield show.

Audi 80 2.0L

Nice conversion of a Diesel to a 2.0L. His heads were modified to flow much better and he felt it had at least 115 ponies or about what a Golf 2.0L would have.

This was a slant install and all fit under the rear deck nicely. Apparently it was quite difficult but the guy is a machinist and had done installs before using the Eurospec conversion (which apparently left quite a lot to be desired) for other people.

The muffler pipes hung pretty low and one was right behind the drivers rear wheel so it would take quite a bit of abuse. The owner has a plan to change that but will wait for the pipes to rust out due to the cost of customer exhaust pipes and tig welding etc.

He is very happy with the performance.

Subaru 2.2

This conversion was done using the Kennedy conversion kit and is incredibly clean and fits under the read deck. When he started it up, it sounded very similar to a waterboxer on speed, probably because its also a waterboxer.

Everything in the engine bay was off the shelf or included in the conversion kit except for the wiring. Apparently the installation itself took about a day for a non-mechanic, but that doesn't include the fabrication of the wiring harness which apparently took about a weeks worth of evenings using the supplied plans and the Subaru loom.

The only gotcha is the sump. This is approx 8" by 8" and hangs below the engine by about 4". It looks to me like it hangs about 2" lower than the lowest point of the Vanagon engine.

The owner says that he has no problem with it as clearance is still better than most mini vans. I've heard that racing sums are available that are wider and about 2" shorter. If one could get rid of the sump completely (dry sump setup) I think the clearance would actually be improved over the Vanagon engine. There's gotta be an engineering solution to this.

OPINIONS ALERT

Of the two conversions, I think I preferred the Subaru. Most kits for the Golf don't install the engine at a slant so they would intrude into the cargo area (not so great for a Westy). There was also a lot of room left in the engine bay with the Subaru. I.e. the engine wasn't wedged in there, it would be pleasant to work on.

The clearance issue isn't as bad as I thought it was on the Subaru...I had the impression that the whole engine hung low, rather than just a small area, and I'm sure I could solve that problem as well. As it stands now, I wouldn't be surprised if that small area that hangs low would hang between the skid plate beams on the Syncro.

The numbers on the Subaru are better than the Golf, but that is largely irrelevant as both drivers reported great performance and derivability.

Mileage seemed to be about the same for the engines.

Availability of Subaru engines is much better in New England than VWs, although where I live, VWs would be easier to come by and the Golf kit I was planning to use came with one.

Cost of the conversions and engines are virtually identical.

Wish I'd taken pictures of the conversion, but I was so excited I completely forgot.

On the swapping side of the show, I scored two new Vanagon Syncro front rotors for 25$US each. US made though.

If you have any opinions or questions, please let me know.

...Markus

-- --------------------------------------------------------------- _____ _____ CrossKeys Systems Corporation ____ \ / ____ ___ \ X / ___ Crosskeys Centre Markus Benne \ X X / 350 Terry Fox Drive Senior Software Designer X X X Kanata, Ontario ___/ X X \___ Canada K2K 2W5 mailto:mbenne@crosskeys.com ____/ X \____ (613) 591-1600 Ext. 8237 _____/ \_____ FAX 599-2330 http://www.crosskeys.com