Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:32:36 -0700
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      Re: My new camper!!!
Comments: To: Javier Saenz <gordita70@HOTMAIL.COM>

If your engine is indeed original, it is normal aspirated. TDI stands for 'turbo direct injected'. It was introduced in the mid 90s.

My brother is getting 28mpg on his fresh rebuild. His is an '83 with 5spd.

The smoke is hydrocarbons and among other things will thicken the oil sooner than otherwise. Is your timing correct? The smoke might mean some of the rings are stuck or the injectors are faulty/carboned. A compression test would help to determine where the problem is. How does it start in the morning? I recommend adding 1/2 qt. of ATF in a couple of consecutive fillups to see if the detergents in the ATF can unstick the rings and clean the injectors. It won't hurt and may help. A Bentley or Haynes technical manual for the Vanagon will help if you don't already have one. -Dana-

Javier Saenz wrote: > > Hello amigos, > I am pleased to announce that I have purchased a new camper. This does > have the original diesel TDI engine installed. It is a 1982 model. I am > noticing no great amount of power and fuel MPG of only about 25MPG. Is this > what is supposed to be? I know now not to put gasoline in this motor, like > my old one. I gave up on the trailer project as is was to unstable at > freeway speeds. > Is this the motor that I can use corn oil if I run out of diesel? Also, > it smokes quite a bit and when climbing hills laeves a good trail behind > angering many other motorists. Most noted when I climb through the > mountains heading east on I-5 from San Diego. Does anyone else's diesel > smoke like this on long climbs? > > Thank You, > > Javier > > _______________________________________________________________ > Get Free Email and Do More On The Web. Visit http://www.msn.com