Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:52:41 -0500
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Syncro Engine Block Heater Mystery Solved!! (long story,
              happy en ding)
Comments: To: "Fitz-Randolph, Douglas" <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET>

Sorry to "rain on your parade" - I have the same heater......

It basically heats the oil that sits in the bottom of the pan, or so it seems. Doesn't heat up the block. It does not do a good enough job to enable good starting in our winters.

We have really really cold winters in Winnipeg!

What would be better is a heater that would fit into the frost plugs of the block - that's how normally a block heater works - keeps the coolant warm. My 84 Westy doesn't have frost plugs! - give me a break (pun)!

An reasonable alternative to the aforementioned pan heater is a heater that gets inserted into a rad hose. (thermostat controlled) They really work! Pretty expensive here ($30 - $40 CDN) for such things - but are readily available.

Hope this helps.

Marshall Ruskin

-----Original Message----- From: Fitz-Randolph, Douglas <dfrandolph@TALKAM.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, June 24, 1999 5:42 PM Subject: Syncro Engine Block Heater Mystery Solved!! (long story, happy en ding)