Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:44:57 -0400
From:         Frank Miller <fmiller01@SPRYNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel Pump

Based on my own experience, I'd take it as an indication that the fuel pump is on it's way out. My fuel pump buzzed for a good 3 months prior to dying completely. A check of your fuel pressure should tell you if it's doing it's job correctly, but I wouldn't be going anywhere without at least a spare fuel pump along. They aren't cheap, but neither is a tow truck.

Frank Miller

At 09:22 PM 6/24/99 -0400, you wrote: >David Williams wrote: >> >> I am getting ready for a trip to Yellowstone this summer and I have a >> noisy fuel pump. It is loud enough that I can hear it when the vanagon >> is at an idle. The noise really doesn't bother me I'm just concerned >> about it failing at an in-opportune moment. Anybody out there know of a >> source for a new fuel pump? Or do you think I'm just being paranoid. >> >> Dave Williams > >Dave, > >My name is John and I don't think your fuel pump noise is a cause if >concern but more information would nice. > >If the rubber hangers that support the pump (behind the l/r wheel) are >hardened, damaged or missing, fuel pump buzz will be enhanced. I've seen >pump hangers that failed and the P/O used wire or plastic ties to secure >the pump. The reason VW originally used rubber a hanger or mount with a >certain resiliency is to dampened the operating sound of what is >normally a very noisy(roller cell)pump. If the pump is not positioned >EXACTLY AS ORIGINAL, additional noise may be unavoidable. > >The fuel pump pressure should be checked at the fuel loop tap with the >engine running. The nominal pressure at idle(with the vacuum line >disconnected and plugged at the intake port)should be ~2.5 bar. If not, >the pump is working too hard, generating excessive noise and indicating >a problem such as a blocked fuel filter or a pinched fuel line. > >Enjoy Yellowstone, JP > Frank Miller Alternative Business Systems Columbus, OH