Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:23:51 -0600
From:         Fred Brittain <vanpire@BIBBS.COM>
Subject:      CV GREASE, ETC (long)

Greeting Vanagonders,

Bought an 89 Westy last Oct from a friend who wholesales cars. Had been a dedicated lover of air-cooled Westys right up till the time a kid in a high rise pick up T-boned by beloved 78. My mom bought it new and I had maintained/driven it the last ten years. Bottom line on the 89 is that I don't have a clue about things like what kind of cv grease is in it or any other tidbits I could have gotten from a previous owner. So, when I decided to add (not replace) cv joint grease this week, I had some questions about what to put in. Started with research on the net. Looked up NLGI (nat'l lube grease inst.) and couldn't shed any light on the subject. I went to four flaps, two oil distributors (one of which called his consulting engineer while I was there) and didn't learn a whole lot. No one at any flaps knew the compounds in their "cv joint" grease. I finally located one that listed a lithium stearate base with 3% molybdenum sulfide additive. I found expensive aluminum base greases (mostly syns) that claim to withstand extreme demands. I went with some lithium base moly grease. It's what I'd always used on the 78. It had 175K and good, original cv joints. I have drawn some conclusions (engaged in groundless conjecture?) about successfully adding grease with a needle. The listee(s) who reported loosing large amounts of grease either out the end or through a hole (epidermic) in the boot MAY have mixed greases with incompatible bases. I figure it's a crap shoot with me because I simply don't know what had been put in them before. I can say I got a lot of grease into the joint by inserting the needle through the end of the boot. By counting pumps and dividing into 14 oz (standard grease tube size) I know I got very close to 4.6 oz into each boot. Also changed the brake fluid. My fluid reservoir is stamped "use only Dot 4." When I put on a new fuel filter and noticed the old one was turned backwards (gas does flow from tank to engine?) I had Tom Waits on the original VW cassette deck. He's perfect for working on VW products. His lyrics are often outrageous, sometimes abstruse, and others times make no sense at all. I love my vehicle.

Peace and Wisdom

Fred 89 89 Westy