Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1999 14:41:52 -0500
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      Re: huge loss of power
Comments: To: Steve Folio <sfolio@SIMCO.COM>

Hi Steve, I would check the o2 sensor,the temperature 2 sensor and the afm (air flow meter). The engine will naturally have a little richer burn at higher altitude but the o2 sensor should alert the ecu to that fact it sees a rich mixture and the ecu should correct the mixture. If there is a problem with one of the above mentioned sensors and primarily the afm the ecu will not be able to correct enough to the lean side and the engine will run too rich. Attach a lcd meter to the o2 output and ground using a long wire, watch the o2 voltage. When all is good it will bouncing above and below 0.5 volts, when rich it will be above 0.5 volts and when lean it will be below 0.5 volts. The reason I suspect the afm is the ecu will only correct the mixture up to a point and then it is programmed to ignore o2 because its output is assumed to be wrong and the system goes into open loop. I had a very good lesson in this scenario last year at bbta (busses by the arch) in STL . A party there had a afm set to the rich side, his ecu ( an early bosch) would not correct the mixture. I plugged my spare ecu (a triumph adler) and all was good. His ecu was ok in several other vans there. After we determined his van was very rich in open loop ( ecu uses temperature and afm sensor but not the o2 sensor). We corrected the rich running by adjusting the afm main spring for a proper mixture in open loop and all was good with his own ecu. Sorry this got so long thanks for hanging around and good luck with your quest. Darrell

----- Original Message ----- From: Steve Folio <sfolio@SIMCO.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 1999 1:05 PM Subject: huge loss of power