Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 1999 09:12:56 -0400
From:         mike <mayfly95@PAONLINE.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 flashing coolant indicator
Comments: To: Byron MacIntyre <bmacinty@HSD.UVIC.CA>

Let it idle till warm then check the coolant tank, inside the van under the hatch not the overflow visible thru the license plate, check for bubbling or steaming coolant usually around a hairline crack invisible to the naked eye. May also be the coolant sensor and or seal which screws into the tank. I replaced all with parts from the bus depot when I found this same problem on my 87.

Not a bad time to check your coolant hoses either, the metal ones coming off the water pump tend to rust thru and leak, the rubber ones rot and blow apart. BTDT

good luck with your search, definately should be fixed tho, wasserboxers need coolant.

mike 87 westy

BTW I think I still have a pic of the coolant hoses from VW's microfiche I could send you, or it may be up on Darrell Boehler's web site

Byron MacIntyre wrote: > > The coolant light on my is possessed, it flashes inconsistently, > some days it flashes constantly, other it turns off as soon > as the engine runs for a few minutes, other days it doesn't > come on. The heads were recently redone and I've had > it back to the mechanic who assures me that the coolant levels etc. > are fine and it is operating fine, any suggestions? > > Byron MacIntyre