Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Jun 1999 23:58:39 -0700
From:         Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM>
Subject:      O2 sensor +
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Found this (& lots more) at: http://import-car.com/magnav.htm go to 'Import Car' at left, then to 'search back issues', type in volkswagen or whatever strikes your fancy, 'all issues'.

Austin (ps - I just highlighted/pasted the following directly off the web page...it looks OK as I'm getting ready to send it (Eudora), I *hope* there's no weird formatting that gets ugly on the receiving end-I'll know soon enough!)

Heated Oxygen Sensor Precaution

When the heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) operates too slow or is out of range, it causes hesitation when cold and poor idle quality. This condition could result from the application of contact cleaner or other similar substances to the sensor connector.

As the sensor heats up, air inside the sensor expands and vents out and around the tiny spaces surrounding the wire strands within the wiring insulation.

As the sensor cools, there is a reverse effect which causes minute suction in the same area around the wires.

If contact cleaner has been sprayed onto the terminal end of the wire, it is possible for the internal suction to draw these materials down through the insulation of the wire and into the interior of the heated oxygen sensor. These materials can then coat the sensor surface with contact cleaner and destroy or alter proper sensor operation.

Do not use contact cleaner or any similar material when repairing or replacing heated oxygen sensors because they could destroy proper sensor operation. Replace the sensor if you find corrosion on the sensor terminals.