Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:32:00 -0400
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: July 4th trips?
Comments: To: ron@NETCARRIER.COM

Ron wrote:

> Evon, Haley, and I go the same place every July 4th weekend: The Great Blue > Heron Music Festival outside of Jamestown, N.Y. (not far from Erie, Pa.),

For those of you approaching from the south and east, take the road along the river in Alleghany nat. forest on the border between PA and NY. Beautiful Westy driving with many good rest stops of camping spots along the way. Just south of the forest is historic oil country, the area where oil was first commercially extracted, enabling the energy and automobile boom that we today seem to take for granted.

Jamestown is a Swedish immigrant area, and the older population still speak Swedish (The younger "MTV" age don't know anything about their heritage). You can pick up Swedish bakeries in several places, and at Peterson's farm in the northern part of town you can get homade Swedish korv (sausage) and a variety of other Swedish groceries. Note that these places also keep Swedish hours, 9-5 weekdays. Come too late and your stuck with McDonalds anyway...

North of town, close to Lake Erie lies Cattaraguas (sp?) indian reservation, where the inhabitants are waging a tax war with the state government - The closest we come to "freemen" (women?) here in the east. Your most obvious benefit of this is tax free Diesel (and gas for the hedons ;-) at about 80 cent/gal.

Cattaraguas creek also has some of the best white water kayaking and canoeing in the north east, but it is likely to little water in the creek for that now. Check back after rains or in the spring.

Cheers, Martin

PS Just came back from yakkin' Lehigh river, PA. There's a rapid there called "Volkswagen bus stopper"! Wonder how that happened? (Typical names are otherwise "boat eater" or "Jones stone" if Jones slammed his yak there)

-- New and used parts for sale, gas and Diesel:

http://www.cs.yale.edu/~jag/vw/forsale.html

Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------