Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:15:17 -0600
From:         BILL <billv2@PRODIGY.NET>
Subject:      Re: What Mini-Projects are going on?
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Oh the joy of working on a Vanagon......I too am tinting my windows on my 82 Westy. The PO did a terrible job with bubble bubble here and a bubble bubble there. You get the idea. I ran into trouble on the passenger side slider. A cancer had grown into a large pea size hole. So it's time to replace the window seal also. I got this seal for $47 at my dealer which beat BD prices. This in itself amazed me. I also got the chrome molding for $11. Since I am tinting my Westy, I removed the cabinets cause I was also in the process of redoing those also. But that's another story. With the cabinets out, I retinted both back side windows. BTW I am using Axius 5000 window tinting 20%VLT from K-Mart $9.xx/6-1/2ft.. I don't plan on tinting my front side windows...most states you can use 35% while others you can't put any. In doing the sliders on a Westy, I remove the whole window.

I figure once done the temp inside the Westy should drop some, but one of my main concerns was fading. With the window tint on, my interior will not fade. And one of the best ways to reduce the interior heat is to have a white Vanagon. My 85 is black and it gets HOT inside. I have not measured it. My 82 is white and it does not get as hot. All one has to do is during a very hot summer day put your hand on a dark colored vehicle, then go put your hand on a white vehicle. The pigment of the white paint reflects uv or something like that.

I'm starting to ramble too much. I gotta go do some more packing as my move to Idaho gets closer.....Anyone want to come over and help? I've had some nibbles on magic bus from local community. Most can't figure out what the heck is a Vanagon? Other than that, I've gotten the usual calls like.....I'll be over in 1 hr. and they never show up. This is very common and one of the reasons I dislike selling vehicles. I had a guy call me last night at midnight. Drunk as a skunk. Wanted me to go pick him up so he could buy it. Only to find out he wanted a TV???

Bill VWWESTY "I'd Rather Be Hiking The '85 GL [*Magic*Bus*] Greater Yellowstone" '82 Westy [FreeBird] Big Sky Country <><