Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 1999 08:08:24 -0400
From:         Bulley <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: What Mini-Projects are going on?
Comments: To: "KENWILFY@AOL.COM" <KENWILFY@AOL.COM>

Here is one for you...although it is part of our rebuild, you could do it anytime just for the pure joy, if you so choose.

I am installing an auxiliary oil cooling system in our 1982 Westfalia. Since we punish our engine with high loads, and merciless highway speeds. I figure the little four-banger can use all the help she can get in keeping her cool. I choose the Mesa 24-plate cooler, as they have a good reputation with Baja racers. The 24-plate cooler's dimensions are perfect to fit in the grill under the fresh air intake. There is actually enough room for a pair of these, side by side, as they are 3" x 11" x 1.25" thick. For now we will use one.

As for other components: some oil lines are rubber/braided: for connections between metal parts, and where constant flex and tight curvature is an issue (about 6 feet total). The majority of the lines however are 1/2" copper soft bend tubing (like is used for home heat-pump systems) 40 feet total. I choose this tubing for its durability, pressure containment (it doesn't swell, and cause pressure drops), and its heat shedding ability. The oil will actually loose some heat on the way to and from the oil cooler.

I am pushing the oil with a Melling, High Capacity oil pump (150%). On the advice of numerous machinists & builders, we are leaving the oil pressure springs stock. The pick-up for the system is an EMPI spin-on sandwich adapter with barbed fittings where the oil filter normally attaches. The oil then runs to a remote filter stand (which I haven't placed yet, as the motor is out, and I am not sure where I want the filter), then to an OilStat mechanical oil thermostat.

The thermostat is critical. It will shunt 95-98% of the oil back to the motor until the oil temps hit 170 F, then it opens slowly until it is fully open at something like 220 (from what I understand). The point is, it will prevent "over-cooling" of the oil during chilly weather, and will speed warm-up.

From the thermostat, the oil flows to the front of the van through 20 feet of copper tubing, which runs primarily against the belly of the Westfalia, and through the "valley" in the middle of the fuel tank. The lines are grounded by the metal fittings which keep the copper pipes in place. Up front, the lines switch to rubber/braided behind the grill to hook up to the cooler, then it is the same route on the way back.

The returning cooled oil returns to the block through the sandwich adapter, goes through the standard VW oil cooler, then on to the bearings. I think it will make our box run a while longer. We will see. I may take fotos and make an oil cooler addendum to the website. Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett & Associates www.bulley-hewlett.com Cary, NC USA 888.468.4880 tollfree