Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:10:17 -0400
From:         Ian Webb <ianwebb@RBNET.COM>
Subject:      new (well, kinda) to the list with a newly-aquired '90 westy

I just wanted to introduce myself to the list. My name is Ian Webb and I live in Roanoke, Virginia. I just arrived home today with a nice (new to me) 90 Westy. I guess I'm not really that new to the list...I've just been gone for 2 years. I hung around on this thing for at least 2 years while I played with a '79, an '89 and a '90 (mostly just getting good advice from those of you who know what you're talking about). I thought I had it out of my system, but I got to missing them, so I started looking and got very lucky last Sunday night when a guy from Columbus, OH posted his camper on the net (for a nice sum of $9000!!!). I was the 2nd person to contact him and somehow got lucky enought to drive it home today. Its white with an awning and 10 disc cd changer, a bunch of speakers and a big 'ole amp (sounds good). Also came with the alloys, PW, PL, PM, cruise, 127,000 miles, etc.

In terms of work that needs to be done (that I know of so far)...I need a Bentley manual. Anyone know where to get one cheap??? It needs a good wash and wax. I also need to give it a tune up, flush & fill the coolant, and change the oil. I think I'll do the tune up and oil change myself, but I'm a little scared of the flush and fill unless someone can give me some REAL good advice on how to do it myself. The AC isn't blowing cold air right now, and it may just be a recharge is in order. However, it sounds as though the clutch is always engaged or the pulley is spinning or something, cause the engine is making a noise coming from the pulleys that I haven't ID'd yet (more on this later, I'm sure). The interior is in real good shape, but I need a new sunroof (can anyone help me out with where to find that?) and some advice about some small rust around a few of the seams. Oh yeah, I can't find notation in the records about ever replacing the O2 sensor. What is the collective wisdom of the group? Time to change? Do the splice job (and if so, how?)?

I'm sure I'll have some real specific questions for the group as I start to tackle some of these projects, but I sure do appreciate any advice y'all can throw my way in the meantime!

I have to say it felt really good to be driving one again (even if it is a little slow thru the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia!). Thanks, and its good to be back...

Ian

p.s. In upcoming posts, I'll need to redo my rear brakes, find and install new exhaust system, lube EVERYTHING and maybe take a good look at the suspension...something sounds a little loose in my back end... --

Ian Webb ianwebb@rbnet.com