Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 1999 20:28:16 -0700
From:         Adam Culp <aculp2@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Good Buy? Run to the bank?  Fair Price?

Hello all, I have been on the list for a couple of weeks and have learned a lot. Especially things to keep in mind for my purchase. I have been looking for a 2.1L Wolfie for some time now. I think I have found her.

She is an '87 Wolfie in the Wolfram grey metalic, I do believe(a dark grahite metalic). The Body is in EXCELENT shape. There are no noticeable scratches, and there is only one silver dollar sized dent above the slider handle. Yes, there is NO dent in the infamous spot near the passanger side rear wheel well/door! They claim it is all original paint and tend to believe that(uniform color, no tape marks, no fesh gaskets or any other signs) The Interior is in as good as shape as the original could be. No tears, rips, stains etc., just some wear on the floor carpet of the driver and pasanger side. The Engine was rebuilt at 100K by the previous owners, and the heads and gasket have road dirt, but no oil, coolant or gunk. They say they have never had problems with overheating or losing coolant. It was driven by a mother, but now they have 3 kids and a newly acquired boat, and thought there wouldn't be enough power so they purchased a Suburban. It is the closest thing to a "cream puff" that I have come across in a Vangon, at least in one for sale. But. . .There are a few things that I am unsure of. First I noticed that below the driver it feels kinda like a small unoticed grinding sound. Kinda like the bearings, or the brakes adjusted to tight or out of whack. The owner said that they never noticed it, which tends me to believe there is something to hide or they just don't know too much. Are there any ideas as to what this might be? IF it is the bearings, anybody have a ballpark Fig. on replacement? The other thing is the mileage. There are 173K miles which is 13K a year, which is a little above average. The engine has 73k on the rebuild, with paperwork, although I have not pysically asked for it. I plan to rebuild the engine with some performance mods, but right now I just don't have the $$. Hopefully in the next 1-3yrs. I am not worried about the engine I am just worried that the car and its parts have expired about 80% of her life. Whatever I get I plan to keep for AT LEAST 10 years. But, the POs have seemingly kept excelent shape of the vehicel, they seem to be up to my par. Can this last me another 125-200K, or is that unrealistc(granted some maintanance here and there). I am just curious to see what people think about those two things before I talk further with them. Before I say the asking price I would liek to see what the other list members would value this at(yeah i know its hard without seeing/driving). But lets play "The Price Is Right." Thanks in advance!