Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:21:58 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: one last question from Woody
Comments: To: Woody Halsey <WoodyHalsey@compuserve.com>

First - have you been able to restart it? You've probably pulled the plugs to check for soaking? Pulled the intact injectors rails off the intake manifolds to see if fuel pours out of the injectors?

Are you talking about the main battery ground cable or the fuel pump ground? Oops, never mind - I just rechecked the diagrams and it doesn't make a whit of difference. The ground on the pump is direct to the chassis, as is the battery ground. A break in either one is not going to power the pump. In order to create the problem you describe, 1. the pump has to be running and more importantly 2. an open path must exist for the fuel to travel between the pump and the engine.

So,

1. The pump gets its power from the pump relay which gets its power from the battery via a "30" terminal connection at the starter. The relay is activated when it receives voltage from the ignition coil, when the key is in the "on" or "cranking" position. The other side of the equation (i.e., the decision at to when the ground will be given for the relay solenoids to operate) is handled by the computer. That's why, if you turn the key to the "on" position without starting the engine, the pump is supposed to run for a couple seconds and then shut off. This is a safety feature built into the ECU, so that in the event of an accident wherein the engine stalls the pump doesn't keep on running. If there were a broken fuel hose you'd not want the pump merrily spewing fuel all over the place. SOMETHING KEPT THE PUMP POWERED UP, GROUNDED PROPERLY AND RUNNING when it wasn't supposed to. I don't see how a broken ground cable at the battery or the pump could do that. Check the main FI harness for damage. It is possible that a ground wire in the harness is bare (melted through at a hot place?)and making a ground connection which shouldn't be there (in effect making a decision to give ground to the pump).

2. The gas has to get into the engine. The most likely avenue is the injectors. Did you pull the spark plugs or the injectors and check for soaking in the combustion chambers? If that was what you found, then the injectors had to have opened. The only thing which normally opens the injectors is the ECU. They get power from the same relay that runs the pump, but their ground wires go straight to the ECU, and they are 4 separate wires, so it's not likely that all of them got ground at once through a fault in the harness, unless there was a major internal meltdown (I don't rule this out - check the harness by the Bentley pinout diagram in the FI section).

In conclusion: If you don't find a major fault in the harness, the ECU is probably the culprit.