Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:42:53 -0700
From:         Pete Cassidy <pcassidy@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Wolfsburg Tires/Tyres - the answer(s)!

Hi all,

For the record, in case anyone else wants to know ..... After I posted my plea for help on tires for my 6" standard VW alloys I got a dozen helpful replies from people on the list. The opinions were almost unanimous.

So ... here's a summary of what I've learnt:

- Michelin MXT 205/70R14R are the ones to go for if you want a standard highway tire. This is the one I need. These tires have the appropriate reinforced sidewalls and are rated at 1710 lbs. @ 50 psi.

- These tires are still available & America's Tire or tirerack.com can get them within days of ordering.

- The standard Vanagon tire is 185/75 or 195/75, but the Wolfsburg standard tire is 205/70, regardless of what your FLATS may try to tell you (hello, Sears!!).

- I'm paying $93 a corner, but they may cost up to $116 depending on who you ask & where you live.

- Don't bother looking on michelin.com - they're not there! Vanagon vehicle search shows none available & the MXT isn't up there either.

- Don't bother calling America's Tire & asking for Vanagon tires - they'll just say no! You *must* specifically ask for the MXT tire! This will cause the correct tire to miraculously appear on their computer.

- There isn't a suitable Michelin Agilis tire in 205/70 size. 8-(

- Some people suggested Yokohama 370s, but these don't seem to be available in 205/70.

Thanks to everyone for the help,

Pete C

-- Peter Cassidy, pcassidy@apple.com Sr. Test Dev. Engineer (916) 394-5302 - phone Sacramento Operations Center (916) 815-0762 - pager Apple Computer Inc.