Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:11:04 -0700
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      A Touch of the Southwest---- long

For those interested, here's a report on my recent trip to the Four Corners area of the Southwest:

I was gone for about 5 weeks and drove about 4,000 miles. My 90 Westy Syncro performed flawlessly both on and off road.

If you are most interested in the major tourist attractions or full service campgrounds you needn't read on. To point of all my trips to the southwest are to visit remote scenic areas away from the tourist crowds and to explore for remote indian ruins... mostly the Anasazi Ruins (more commonly known as the Cliff Dwellers, like at Mesa Verde). I do this because I love the feeling of that country, I have a degree in Anthropology, and I am threatening to write a book about this area of my interest.) To this end my Syncro is perfect for heading off on remote 4WD roads. Though I only mention small established campgrounds below, you can be sure that I know of many remote mesa top camping spots with panoramic views of the canyons and ruins close by... places where you don't see anyone or even hear a distant car engine for weeks. I will leave the adventure of finding these places to you.

The best map to plan for a trip to this area (or follow my report) is the map titled Indian Country. It is put out by the AAA Automobile Club of Southern California and is available through AAA and at most of the parks in the Four Corners area. For those who don't know the four corners are formed by Arizona, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado. I use the terms Four Corners, Colorado Plateau, and Canyon Country pretty much synonymously.

On that map you will see many famous tourist attractions like: Monument Valley, Canyon De Chelly, Chaco, Mesa Verde, Canyon Lands, Arches National Park, Moab, etc. These are great cultural and scenic attractions. If you haven't seen them, by all means do.. at least once. I saw them all many years ago, developed an interest in contemporary and prehistoric native American cultures, and now seek out the more remote areas away from the tourist energy. So if I haven't mentioned the big names it's because I'm not much interested in them any more.

My trip started May 8th at my home in Truckee, CA. and I headed down Hwy 395 to see my mother in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Hwy 395 follows the eastern foot hills of the Sierra Nevada range of mountains. It's a spectacular highway, but especially so in the spring. At that time of year the high foot hills are in bloom, the high peaks are still snow covered, and the streams are very full from the snow melt. This exciting panorama goes on for hundreds of miles. There are many roads that head west up the Sierra drainages to good camping spots which are petty much empty before Memorial Day and after Labor Day.

After visiting my mother in Lake Havasu City and my brother in Salome, Arizona I headed north through the Verde Valley and Flagstaff. Flagstaff (6,000 ft) sits at the base of the San Francisco peaks (sacred to both the Hopi and Navajo indians). The Museum of Northern Arizona focuses on the native southwest cultures and is located on Hwy 180 just outside of town. There is a good dirt and gravel road that heads north across the street from the museum and crosses a pass to the north side of the peaks. There is a good off the beaten track BLM camping in that area (no camp grounds). If you take the first main road to the right you will come out on Hwy 89 just south of Wupatki/Sunset Crater National Monument. I visited the Wupatki indian ruins... very nice.

Then it was onward through the Navajo Indian Reservation... Tuba City, Kayenta, and Mexican Hat. It used to be that there were few services on the reservation. But now there is a Supermarket and Shopping mall in Kayenta. The best way to get along on the reservation is to treat the people like you would like to be treated. Most of the people are great... but there are still a few with chips on their shoulders (perhaps rightly so having read the history of their people). And remember to treat the reservation as private property... it's NOT okay to pull off on a dirt road here and camp. The only camping along this stretch is at Navajo National Monument. Believe it or not, the camping is free! It's a small quiet campground. The visitor's center is interesting, but what I found the best were the hikes to the two spectacular Anasazi Ruins... Keet Seel and Betatakin.

Keet Seel is the best preserved major ruin in the country! To see it you have to make reservations months in advance (unless you're lucky enough to get a cancellation), and it is only open from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. It is a 8.5 mile hike one way. You can backpack and camp over night. Betatakin is only a 5 mile hike round trip. To see it you have to be one of the first 25 people to line up in the morning. I hiked to Keet Seel one day (and back) and to Betatakin the next day. One of the best experiences was having the Navajo guides to show the ruins. They were great.

Along Hwy 163 you pass though the edge of Monument Valley... this is the famous Marbourl(sp) Country scenery. It is on the reservation, and you can hire Navajo guides for a jeep or horseback trip through this spectacular country. There is a campground here, but I've never tried it.

At Mexican Hat you cross the San Juan River and leave the Navajo Reservation. Many river raft trips leave from here or further up stream at Bluff. You can buy showers in both places. The nearby Goosenecks of the San Juan is a spectacular view. And the Valley of the Gods (see AAA map) is like a mini Monument Valley where you can take the dirt loop road and camp among these rock gods (very nice). But stay off this road during or just after a rain... the mud will eat you alive! North of Mexican Hat, along Hwy 261 is Cedar Mesa and Natural Bridges National Monument. On Cedar Mesa is a long canyon called Grand Gulch (not visible from the road). It has been said to be the best place to backpack and see Anasazi Ruins in a natural setting. (Permits are required now, there is a ranger station along the highway.)

At the town of Blanding is another good Anasazi museum, The Edge of the Ceda rs. Blanding has a decent grocery store (not great, but adequate). Another place I like is the Kam Park at the Texaco gas station. No, I'd never camp here among the RV's, but the services here are most convenient: gas, laundry, showers, Taco Bell, trash dumpster, pay phone, grocery store across the street, self car wash just down the street, and propane just down from the car wash. A great pit stop if you've been out for awhile. But the best grocery stores in the area are the two City Markets at Moab (north from Banding on Hwy 191) and at Cortez, Co.

There is a really good Visitor Information Center in Monticello (just north of Blanding). This is just a branch of the Visitor's Cente in Moab with is even better. They will have all the books, maps, etc. that you may ever want on the area. And another really good Anasazi Museum just north of Cortez along Hwy 184 called the Anasazi Heritage Center.

Just east of Bluff is Hovenweep National Monument. Best access road is just north of Bluff... Hwy 262 heading east is paved now. Very good, very different Anasazi ruins... many tall towers in the open (rather than tucked away in alcoves). And best of all it's not normally crowded. (But avoid mid May when the nats can be fierce.) There are six different sets of ruins here with hikes which vary from 1/4 to 4 miles round trip. The campground has a good view of the Sleeping Ute mountain to the east and is rarely full.... VERY quiet because the rangers live next door. The road through McElmo Canyon to Cortez is very scenic.

From west of Cedar Mesa to Hovenweep there is a lot of BLM land and dirt roads that are open to remote camping. Just make sure you're not on reservation land around Hovenweep.

Just south of Cortez is the Ute Mountain Tribal Park. This land is owned by the Ute Mountain Indians. It is private land and you are not supposed to even drive into this park without an indian guide. I hear they have a lovely primitive campground. You can make reservations for this campground and for tours of the ruins in the area. I didn't call early enough (they were booked a month in advance). What is really interesting about these ruins is that this land is contiguous with Mesa Verde National Park... home of such world famous cliff dwellings as Cliff Palace. Mesa Verde is jam packed with tourists that clog the roads and fill the ruins with mindless chatter. But I hear the ruins are just as good at the Ute Mountain Tribal Park.... and A LOT LESS PEOPLE... like in the tens instead of thousands!!!! I'm sure you could get the phone number from information in Cortez, CO. if you are interested.

The return leg of my trip was through Moab to Green River and then Hwy 70 and 50 across Utah and Nevada to my home in the Lake Tahoe area. There is an interesting museum in Green River devoted to the river explorers of the Colorado and Green Rivers. A few miles west of Green River (after ascending the San Rafael Swell) there is an area called the Head of Sinead (in the Sinead Country). There are maps available at the visitor center in Moab (this area is to the north of the AAA Indian Country map), but the area is obvious because of its sculpted sandstone bluffs that belly out and spiral up into peaks... shapes of sand dunes and peaks with grassy grazing land between. Take any of the dirt roads on the side of the freeway and explore... good off the track camping in the canyons formed between the bluffs... no water... elevation 7,000 plus so it is cooler here during hot spells. Some really good pictographs in the area.

None of the camping that I mentioned above has showers. I recommend a solar shower bag. I always travel with a full one in the overhead luggage rack so that it's warm when I get to camp. Most of the campgrounds have running water to drink, but if you're going to the remote areas TAKE LOTS OF WATER. Remember this is called a desert for a reason.... It gets hot and it is dry. Also be prepared for lots of strong gusty winds. I don't even bother putting up my shade tarp any more!

And PLEASE don't drive off the existing dirt tracks (even to turn around). We don't need any more scars on this fragile land. Thanks.

I think the best time of year is May (or perhaps mid Sept to mid Oct). By early June it can get hot and the bugs can come out in force. July and August can have lots of thunder storms.

Have Fun... Bill 90 Westy Syncro