Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Jun 1999 13:18:34 -0400
From:         Dominique Cormann <kozmik@WAVE.HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 5W30 Oil --- is it OK??? ( warning long response )
Comments: To: ThZouave@AOL.COM

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:02:37 EDT Todd Thompson <ThZouave@AOL.COM> wrote:

> I think that it can be important to note what the numbers of oil mean. 5-30 > or 15-50. The first number is the weight of the oil when cold. the second > number is the weight of the oil when HOT. Most oild get up to operating > tempetures very quickly. It is important to have the same high temperture > number as recomended. the lower number helps provide lubrication at start up. > Especially in cold weather. There are some questions about wide ranging oil > such as 5-50; they use additives to make a "thin" oil to stand up in heat > (instead of thining out even more). These additives will wear out faster than > your oil. Try and stay away from oils that have a "shift" that are more than > 15-20 points. >

In general you are correct, but not all oils use additives to achieve this. The Mobil your using, for example uses no additives to achieve things like the 5w50 they have. But the others do w/ Amsoil being another non-additive exception.

> If you are a real oil nut use cheap oil and change it every 1500 miles or so. > synthetic is great but still builds with crud like any other oil. ( I use > mobile 1 syn. 15-50 and change every 3000) >

Thats what I used in my gas cars. A good synthetic, and changed at normal oil intervals.

However, I have a new theory, now that I've been spending time around diesels.

This last weekend, I helped my friend rebuild a 87 TD engine, for placement in his Vanagon. We were really impressed how clean this over 300,000 kms engine was inside. The previous owner used diesel rated oils (15w40 cg-4) and changed at the manuals stated times. Normal wear had occured. The rings were almost totally worn, to the point of contact...hadn't yet allowed the pistons to make contact, but would have soon. No blowby. The main bearings showed no wear, the rod bearings also showed little wear. In the pan and around the engine we saw NO SLUDGE at all. In fact this isn't the first time I've seen this. Completely sludgeless engines when taking apart diesels where the owner made sure to use diesel rated oils. Diesels produce more sludge then gas engines, so the oil has a tougher job. Soot, and other deposits create 10 times the sludge, but a good diesel oil has detergents for the deposits, and other additives that break apart soot.

While talking with places that rebuilt truck diesel and gas motors, they recommended using the diesel oils in the gas engines for the reason that they contain better detergents and when they rebuild the gas motors, they see evidence that it makes a difference.

This is why some oil companies don't call there diesel oil, just diesel oil, they called them mixed fleet oil. Since they carry both the Cx ratings and the Sx ratings.

After taking apart some engines, I feel more confident about Diesel/mixed fleet oils, compared to oils that just meet Sx ratings.

Also to be honest, I'm feeling less confident that using synthetic makes a difference.

When seeing different engines apart, I noticed little difference if they had used synthetic or mineral. (keep in mind the climate, if I was further north, I'd say use synthetic period). So if I see little difference in wear, then the difference in cost factors in. The cost savings of using a premium mineral based oil would add up large enough to pay for the rebuild ( I do the work myself - so I'm talking parts ). We paid $320 in parts (canadian money) to get everything we needed to do the rebuild on the TD motor. We did a full rebuild, not just re-ringing the motor obviously.

I can buy a pail of diesel 15w40 CG-4 oil for around $29 canadian.

Synthetic stuff is $70-$180 for the same 20L pail. Mobil 1 delvac being the high end of that price range.

The reason I think I'm seeing no difference is that the synthetic oils used were for gas engines, and even the one I saw that used Mobil 1 all its life, had sludge buildup...that particular engine actually died of oil starvation. The engine was a gas engine, so it was using the right oil, and changed at every 3000 miles ( us person ). However ppl I know that have used Diesel mineral based oils ( whether in gas or diesel engines ) have seen about the same level of wear. No sludge build up.

The engine I saw that used mobil 1 would have lasted a long time, if it wasn't for the oil starvation. The wear occured rapidly, after the sludge had plugged up most of the oil galleys, and starved parts of the engine.

So now I'm less confident in using synthetics in normal climates. Unless we are talking about using a diesel synthetic oil, but then you have to factor in the extra cost of it.

-- ============================================================--------- Dominique Cormann Email:kozmik@wave.home.com dcormann@uoguelph.ca Homepage: http://kozmik.guelph.on.ca