Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:22:05 -0700
From:         Coby Smolens <cobys@WELL.COM>
Subject:      Re: heater leak?

Rightio! You're quite correct. There is no need to allow coolant to flow through those hoses. I must apologize for having gotten topic-twisted... I was just in another conversation about LEAKING rear heater cores, in which case blocking just one side would not stop a leak. Plugs (with the hose clamps, of course) would be acceptable, if they were handy and adequate to the task - I just happened to come across a particularly eager piece of pipe before I found TWO such plugs once, and so have used this as a tactic once or twice since when dealing with particularly thrifty individuals (I did not say "cheapskates", OK? I myself have known hard times)...

This does not, let it be said, fulfill MY sense of correctness... I would still go for the full repair, even if I were not a repair person. I think. 'Course it's been so long since I wasn't a repair person that I could be mistaken about that. Feel free to ignore that last statement.

Some other points: The control valve, when new, does not let any appreciable amount of coolant to flow through it when closed - I've checked. The heater control valve pulls forward to open. The switch on the dash is the fan switch and serves no other function. The rear control valve is readily available as a separate piece, somewhat expensive ($35.00). Sometimes they crack, they can also leak at the lever shaft. There are also a bleeder plug and o-ring, and an o-ring between the control valve and core body, all of which can leak. Check 'em all, and replace the lot (the small parts are cheap, even from the dealer) if you're replacing the core. The bleeder valve is known for breaking off in it's hole. Don't panic - they have always yielded to my pick tool for removal.