Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:18:09 -0400
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Actual or Theoretical Vanagon Trailer Hauling Capacity

The surge brakes on the trailer should help out quite a bit. When I worked on boats for a living, I did a lot of towing, delivery and moving of those "Fiberglas money pits". Take identical boats, where one purchaser opted for the more expensive trailer with surge brakes versus another that did not, and there is a big difference in the stopping ability.

Several of these boats I towed behind my 1981 Vanagon. Of course, I have also towed a bunch of Bugs behind the Vanagon, and those gotta weigh in at over 2000Lbs as well.

Of course, now you will have a bigger load on the tranny and drivetrain components like the CV's, so one could expect the life of those to shorten. By how much, I have no idea. Maybe Todd can weigh in on if the 091 trannys need to have the 3rd or 4th gears "welded" like the Bug trannys did? I can't remember the construction of them in the 091..it's been about 4 years since I tore into the gearstacks of one of those.

Happy sailing!

-- TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc/tomvw.htm 85 Vanagon Crew Cab 82 Vanagon Westy diesel=>gas conversion 65 Notchback