Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:27:24 -0500
From:         Colin Moran <bolliver@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: '89 2.1 digifant stalls
Comments: To: gregory <grrami@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hello Gregory, I had problems with the engine just shutting down. It started with just a pause and then the engine would come back on its own. Then I had to restart the van after it would shut down. I finally tracked down the problem. The hall sensor in the distributor was going bad. I replaced the distributor, I couldn,t find just the hall sensor. My problem has not returned.

Hope this helps. Colin The Bronze Brick 212,500 mi. -----Original Message----- From: gregory <grrami@EARTHLINK.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 11:48 PM Subject: '89 2.1 digifant stalls I have the strangest prob with my 89 vanagon. while driving it will suddenly lose power, then recover and off we go again, without stopping. well until lately anyway, now it stalls out completely and has to sit a while before it will start up again. I suspect the fuel filter, since I haven't changed it in a year. yesterday I was listening to it run with the engine hatch off, I revved it up and let it fall back to idle. it stalled! thinking back it really only lost power or stalled when I was coming to a stop or changing gears. I started the engine and tried to rev it up again no problem, then I let it fall to idle, it nearly stalled then I heard a click from the air cleaner, and it came back. I recall reading in this group about the door in the air cleaner sticking so I checked. it seemed to move easily but I shot some wd40 in there anyway. so back to the fuel filter I guess, maybe early signs of the fuel pump failing? what do you think? gregory

[text/html]