Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Jun 1999 13:47:50 -0700
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: CLEANING FRIDGE
Comments: To: DShel17@aol.com

Cooling to 40 degrees is pretty good if measured like I described. Does it hold this temp for several hours during a warm day? Cleaning the burner and flue vents is helpful if the fridge won't light or goes out often. It won't really help cooling performance much. Cooling is dependent on how much propane is burned, the sealing of the fridge door, and the fan behind the fridge operating correctly with clear cooling vent areas. The pressure regulator should be set to about 10 inches of water to supply the maximum propane without causing the flame to go out due to insufficient oxygen coming in the flue intake. If the flame won't stay lit at 10 inches of pressure, cleaning the flue vents is needed. Setting the pressure above 10 approaches the limit of the flue air supply intake and increases the likelihood that the flame will sometimes go out during the night. Higher elevation camping means less oxygen in the air, so higher propane pressures can not be supported by the flow capacity of the flue intake system. The fridge will cool better but only until the flame goes out. Setting the pressure to less than 10 may be needed at higher elevations. I live and camp at sea level so I don't have real data on pressure vs performance at higher elevations. I would like to get propane pressure feedback for 5,000 and 10,000 feet if anyone has measured values over multi day camp stays at these levels.

Mark