Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:12:56 -0400
From:         "Horace K. Sawyer" <firestream@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: Good Buy? Run to the bank?  Fair Price?
Comments: To: Adam Culp <aculp2@YAHOO.COM>

> But. . .There are a few things that I am unsure of. > First I noticed that below the driver it feels kinda like a small >unoticed grinding sound. Kinda like the bearings, or the brakes >adjusted to tight or out of whack. The owner said that they never >noticed it, which tends me to believe there is something to hide or >they just don't know too much. Are there any ideas as to what this >might be? IF it is the bearings, anybody have a ballpark Fig. on >replacement?

Probably wheel bearing. Seems to be weak link in Vanagons. Just had mine done (under emergency conditions at a shop) total cost for both front wheels: $200 Incidentally, mine has already started a slight growl again on the left wheel. You can tell which wheel by driving the van and noticing the sound and feel of the steering wheel depending on the direction the van is leaning, even if ever so slightly. Also, going up steep incline takes weight off front wheels too, and that can be noticeable difference in sound and feel. IMO, the wheel bearing issue should have no difference in the decision to purchase.

> The other thing is the mileage. There are 173K miles which is 13K a >year, which is a little above average. The engine has 73k on the >rebuild, with paperwork, although I have not pysically asked for it. I >plan to rebuild the engine with some performance mods, but right now I >just don't have the $$. Hopefully in the next 1-3yrs. I am not >worried about the engine I am just worried that the car and its parts >have expired about 80% of her life. Whatever I get I plan to keep for >AT LEAST 10 years. But, the POs have seemingly kept excelent shape of >the vehicel, they seem to be up to my par. Can this last me another >125-200K, or is that unrealistc(granted some maintanance here and >there).

Kinda high mileage, and you may be unrealistic in your expectations and goals for service life unless you are willing to spend substantial bucks to replace the necessaries that are wearing or worn even as we speak. Plan on at least $2000 worth of unexpected maintenance during the next 2-3 years. Maybe too conservative an estimate.

> I am just curious to see what people think about those two things >before I talk further with them. Before I say the asking price I would >liek to see what the other list members would value this at(yeah i know >its hard without seeing/driving). But lets play "The Price Is Right." >Thanks in advance!

Difficult to advise whether a good deal without knowing the asking price! Have you thought of checking NADA value with mileage deduction? Do you know what a fair price for this vehicle is? Are you willing to pay more than its worth just to have this particular vehicle? What about the A/C? Have you checked all systems? A visual inspection is subject to many variables. Do they have the maintenance records? Who did the maintenance?

Good luck HKS