Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:23:49 -0500
From:         Chuck Hill <hilltech@NETINS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Weird  over-heating problem, please advise!
Comments: To: CARY CHIANG <chiang1@USA.NET>

Cary, I have had personal experience with a water pump which had an impeller intermittantly slipping on the shaft. Operation would run along normally, until suddenly it would go into an overheat condition when the impeller suddenly stopped turning. This was on a newly reconditioned pump from VW on a newly rebuilt long block from VW. The mechanics at the independent VW shop said that they had never seen the condition before, but the people at the FLAPS said it does happen very rarely.

Some people have had problems with clogged radiator cores shutting off coolant flow. This may be caused by leak sealant added to the cooling system over the years which can eventually clog the tubes in the radiator.

If this were my vehicle, I would remove the radiator first and have it "boiled out" at a radiator shop as a first step. With the age of the vehicle, it probably would benefit from this, even if it isn't the major cause of the overheating problem. The next thing I would do, is remove the water pump and see if the impeller can be made to slip. Examine the engine block area next to where the impeller runs. If it is scored, the impeller is the cause.

Chuck Hill