Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 22:17:40 EDT
From:         KENWILFY@AOL.COM
Subject:      A/C Adventures from Hot NJ!!!

Well it has been scorching hot here in NJ these past couple of days and unfortunately I have had lots of work to do in the heat. However I have had a really nice experience with a Vanagon A/C system today that I thought I might relate.

First of all this customer's '87 Wolfsburg Ed. Vanagon had some major problems. With a rebuilt engine from Boston Engine (thanks Bob!) and some TLC from me it is back on the road and running great. The customer wants it back by tomorrow evening and so time was running out (therefore I couldn't hide from the heat but was forced to sweat it out).

Anyway the A/C system was down because the high pressure hose blew last summer. I really wanted to get the system back on line for the customer as the summer is just getting hot and he is going to be doing some major commuting. After having the same problem on my '91 Carat and being forced to buy a used high pressure hose for $100 (the dealer wanted $400 for a new one) I wanted to see if there was anyway to get a new hose made up. So I went to the local NAPA. The guy there was really patient, we looked through his book until we found a replacement for the front fitting (90 degree bend with a nut) and he had a really neat fitting for the compressor fitting. You can't get the compressor end as a new fitting so he used this fitting that allows you to cut off the old end and compression fit it into a new crimpable fitting. Worked excellent. So for a new high pressure barrier hose with two new end fittings I spent $75! I am a very happy camper. If anyone wants the part number for the end fittings (to help your local NAPA make you a new hose) pmail me and I'll get them for you.

So I decided to belay the R-134a conversion on this van (I just didn't have the time to do it) and I charged the van with Freeze-12. I am very happy with the results. Pressures were good for R-12 and the temperature at the register above the driver's head was reading 55 degrees when outside temps were 96 deg! It was so nice and cool in the van it was cooler than in my house! Hope this info helps some of you folks get your A/C systems back online and beat the heat. Ken Wilford (Sweaty in Southern NJ) Van-Again John 3:16