Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jul 1999 23:33:20 -0700
From:         drc11 <drc11@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: 120 MPh,  99 Eurovan, Winnebago

>This is the original post concerning this topic, there appears to be >confusion about the vehicle. The vehicle is not a vanagon, it's a 1999 VR6 >Eurovan Winnebago. > I've been following this with lots of laughter the whole way. I had a '97 VR6 that topped out at I think 115 one day for me. Since I was the first person on the EV list to buy one... none of the guys would believe me!!! The VR6 is very smooth... an absolute delight to drive....

but when it comes to cornering with full tanks, driving on a straightaway (the camper tilts down on the drivers side 2 inches when the gas and water tanks are full) and parking around town.... it is no match to our '90 Syncro Westie. The only thing the EV model style (I also have a '93 EV westie in the garage) has going for it (campers and passenger models) is the engine and the what if safety of air bags! EVERYTHING ELSE IS SACRAFICED! Including maneuverability around town and parking, maneuverability on plain flat dirt rodes (bumps are much harsher - especially speed bumps!), the propane tank hits on the smallest curb and road crown, camping ergonomics (the winnie looks similar but most of it is poor quality and poor construction - my cabinet shelves were even installed crooked by 1/2 inch!!), the 2 beds are a tad narrower and so is the upper bunk tent so the Westie elbow room is lost, the pop top opens lower and 2 adults are hard pressed to sleep up there unless you are slender and under 5'5". The plastic interior on the Winnie is so caustic, that in 1 yr. ours never did fully outgassed.... and the heater never did work right (no one successfully fixed it after the vehicle was out of service for 22 consecutive days in the middle of the summer with only 1,000 mi on the odometer)!! If your kids ride in the back seat forget them seeing anything out the drivers side... the cabinet is built longer/higher and covers more window space (like a cave back there).

EV's (I've owned 3) are great highway drivers. But for functionality and actual ease of use - well, everyday I look at my Syncro Westie I think how glad I am I went back!! It may take me 20 more minutes to get there... but I'm relaxed the whole way and I know when I get there I'll have a nice sleep with clean non-plastic smelling air to breath!!

My experiences... worth only about 2 cents - and for some reason thought I'd share!! Madeline